Monday, November 3, 2008

How to Peel a Pommelo


First, attend a liberal arts college. Get a degree in creative writing.


Next, work shitty jobs for two years. Feel hopeless. Try therapy, fish oil, moving back home. Finally, join a writer's group. Feel inspired!


Go back to school. Get another degree in creative writing.


Spend two years listening to your teachers and classmates tell you why you're a bad writer. Graduate in the exact same circumstances you began in, except several thousand more in debt. Consider your options.

Move to Thailand.

6 comments:

aethena said...

i think this might be one of my favorite posts yet!
i love you joven, can't wait to see you!
keep writing, the world is your oyster...or pommelo...either way, it's open for you.

theprogrammerwholovedme said...

You're writing about my writing life, too. Don't forget the critique groups and contests where you get all sorts of conflicting craft and publishing advice.

Am at the stage where I'm considering moving to another country, just for the heck of it, lol!

zjw said...

I think I have to nominate this as one of my favorite posts, too!

Style and class, Tobey. Love it.

ksyu said...

Tobey, What's your writing group? =)

I really felt sorry for those pomelos :( But otherwise a very sharp and witty look at a writer's frustration.

Here's probably a similar look at my life:
1. get a linguistics and literature degree
2. get an inspiring job teaching literature but otherwise a pauper's pay
3. get two more degrees to improve condition in life
4. Move to China.
4. get 2 higher paying jobs not related to passion
5. finally start chasing passion and start writing for free
6. Wait and see

--Kate

the tiger said...

sweet blog, tobey

judy said...

Tobes! This such an honest and beautiful blog post. I think you are a wonderful writer and have created an amazing blog! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm happy that you are on this journey, and we love you and miss you very much!