Monday, November 17, 2008

Somewhere Else

Sometimes it seems the things I love about travel are the same things I hate.

1. The absurdities of language.


Cross a border, and the words are different. I don't know the numbers anymore. Or how to say thank you.

2. Everywhere is temporary.


Today it's a grimy hostel with cigarette burns in the sheets. Tomorrow we'll pack again. Arrive somewhere new.

3. Disconnection from self and home.

I'm both inescapable and out of context. Me, but not me. It's a peculiar kind of loneliness. A peculiar thrill.

7 comments:

devorah said...

Heehee did you eat some Nature Beef?

cuileann said...

How odd. What is that really (the food)?

I love how you explain that "peculiar thrill."

Kathy said...

Hi there~
I wanted to come by and thank your for visiting my blog and wishing me a Happy day! Thanks for entering my giveaway and I do hope to visit with you soon.
~xx~
Kathy

Maggie May said...

yes yes a particular kind of thrill, like testing the boundries of things,
wonderful...

Shen-Shen said...

I actually love traveling because it is so "lonely" and foreign. There's nothing more thrilling, in my opinion!

Couture Carrie said...

Very cool post!

xoxox,
CC

danica said...

Nature beef? That is brilliant! I love it when things get slightly warped in translation. Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip!