Thursday, February 5, 2009

NY and DC

On Monday, I turned 27. When I think about that number, I feel a strange combination of things. And also nothing at all.


When I was in high school, I wrote a list of what I would like to achieve in my life. The list, as I remember it, is as follows:
1. Publish a book.
2. Speak another language.
3. Learn to play pool.
4. Learn to drive stick.
5. Have hair to my waist.


Here are my achievements so far:
1. I've gone to school for what I love. Twice.
2. I've lived in three states, five countries, and three continents. Traveled to more.
3. I speak Spanish (or used to--I am out of practice).
4. My hair is halfway down my back.
5. I realized I don't like pool.
6. I drive stick.


But:
1. I haven't published any stories.
2. I don't have a job.
3. Or my own apartment.
4. Or transportation.
5. Or a dog.


So. Last weekend I went to NY.


I'm not a city person, but there where were a few moments of inspiration. When I understood.


Like early morning in Brooklyn.


Watching bundled hipsters file into Gorilla Coffee, sighing with relief.

And seeing my friends! Devo in her cute booties:


It is her and Judy's last month in their apartment. They have lived there three years, I think. The end of an era, we all say.


Park Slope brunch:


And in the Bronx, Nora and Synphany.


They have two cats and a dog. A whole family.


Then to DC, where Caleb had stocked his fridge for my arrival.


It is a surprising city.



Complete with a Cuban santaria shop:


And on the way home:


6 comments:

thedrifterandthegypsy said...

lovely post. don't worry if you haven't gotten around to some things on your list. you still have lots of time, my dear. and give yourself a pat on the back for the things you have accomplished.
xoxo,
Micaela

Couture Carrie said...

Loved this post and the accompanying pics! Happy birthday, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Emily said...

Lovely lovely photos. Happy birthday!!

MatCoes said...

Hey Tobey.
Some of those 5th avenue shots are a couple blocks from where Sara and I first lived in Brooklyn. It's a very different neighborhood now!
-mat

Jocelyn M. Berger said...

Um, you left out significant accomplishments in the Making Awesome Friends category, as well as Loves Loved and Lost. And, let us not underestimate your influence in spreading the gospel of sprouted wheat bread around the country, if not world.

devorah said...

My feet made the blog! Woohoo!